Like many others I’ve spent my working life doing something I never thought I’d be doing. When I was in high school I wanted to do something medical - but I didn't really know what. Long story short I didn’t get the marks I needed for Medicine, ended up doing a Commerce degree and my first real job was working for a Bank.
While we all like to knock the banks, it was actually a great place to start a career and get exposed to finance and law and property and investments and people and goals and achievement.
Outside of work I enjoy surfing Noosa's famed point breaks, getting the best seat in the house on the Rugby field (as a referee), hacking up a golf course, noodling around on my guitar and bass and sharing time, coffee and red wine with family and friends.
I moved out of banking and into Financial Planning over 15 years ago looking for a way to be in control of my own destiny - tick. And low and behold, now I do what doctors do - tick. I see lots of patients (clients), I find out about their (financial) health and goals, I give prescriptions (strategies) that help them get well, and I get them to buy into the solutions (medicine) so they can stay well long term.
The things I love about Financial Planning are:
• people think finance is complicated and I get to show them it's much simpler than they thought
• I get to use my nerdy side and come up with strategies that make a difference
• we show people how to be in control of their own future
The clients we tend to work with at Stratogen come to us via their accountants or as referrals from family or friends. They are often:
• hard working, time poor, small business owners who appreciate that good advice and strong relationships allow them to focus on what they do well
• employees who have already started building wealth for their retirement but don't know if they are on track
• people approaching or in retirement who want the maximum benefit from the years of work they've invested and are looking forward to some peace of mind in retirement